[nagdu] The Requirement of a Harness

Linda Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Fri Oct 30 16:32:06 UTC 2009

Hi,
I think churches ARE subject to the ADA when they make structural changes to
their phsyical properties.

My church was built in the early 1930s and, in many ways, it is impossible
to make our church and parish house completely accessible to wheelchair
users.  To do so would mean a cost so high that the church would be
bancrupt.

We have, however, made the changes we could to be as accessible as possible.
There's a ramp to the sanctuary as well as a clear spot in the pews for
people in wheelchairs.  The parish house is a different story because there
are stairs leading upstairs to the main room.  We have one of those chair
lifts that go up a rail on the stairs.  Our only accessible bathroom is in
there.

We do feel bad we can't do more, but we do as much as we can.  Fortunately,
our members who use wheelchairs can get out and walk a but with assistance.
We do have Braille and large print bulletins and worship Orders of Service.
The hymns are printed out in these bulletins for us.

But, back to ADA, churches are just as subject to it as any other building.
I know this for sure because the issue came up while I was still on our
Church Council.  BTW, when our church redid its landscaping, they made a
nice relief area for our guide dogs!  The pastor even e-mailed us guide dog
users to tell us about it!

Cheers,

Linda and Landon