[nagdu] Gary's future dog

Ted Shelly tshelly at optonline.net
Thu Sep 17 23:13:13 UTC 2009

Gary,

I had also thought about a poodle because we had a standard poodle when I
was a kid and he was a great dog, very intelligent and loyal.  He could be
just as lively as any Lab, so I wouldn't pick a poodle just to have a
quieter dog.

I brought my new Lab guide dog home from Oregon to Connecticut a couple of
months ago now and he had no problem at all that I could observe with the
time change.  He showed some signs of stress from the new environment for a
few days, like chewing on his rug, but he settled down very nicely. We're
getting on great now.  I just need to work on his habit of picking up random
objects off the sidewalks, like seed pods and even rocks that I have to fish
out of his mouth.

Anyway, don't let me dissuade you from the poodle if that is your choice.

Ted