[nagdu] My Other Question: Working with a Guide Dog When You Have Mibility Impairments

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 06:58:56 UTC 2010

Hi Rox,

I had read a bit about you and your dogs before, but couldn't remember
your name (my memory problems again...I am bad with names and
numbers). I think it's a wonderful setup and seems to work really
well. It's the inspiration that told me that it could work for me too!

I also have some bad vertigo, especially when shifting weight from one
foot to the other (if I am not very careful as I walk, just lifting a
foot to take a step can knock me off balance to send me stumbling back
several steps, and a few times has sent me stumbling into a pole,
curb, or friend...I haven't fallen yet this way, thank goodness. I
have fallen a few times, but mostly it was due to uneven ground (side
of a ditch, one foot on the gutter edge of a street, and one foot on
the actual road, or some such) or poor traction from rain, snow, or
ice. It helps that I walk very slowly, to keep my concentration on
keeping my balance as I lift each foot.

I also have some days that my right side is all but paralyzed, and my
right foot drags on the ground almost uselessly. I use a cane on these
days, obviously, but as I have to use it on my right side to be of
much use, I find it hard to grip the cane with a painful, partially
paralyzed hand on an arm that simply refuses to work other than to be
bent against my chest. It can be very frustrating at times.

How did you train with your dogs to counter balance and assist with
tasks that normally require lifting heavy loads (like laundry)? Those
tasks would be of particular use to me, especially if my condition
continues to worsen as it has been. I do use a rolling hamper that
helps sometimes (those I usually have a friend roll it anyway), and a
rolling backpack that I use around the house, too, to put objects in
to move them from one room to another. Do you have a special hamper
that your dog pulls around that you can put objects in as you find
them that need to be in other rooms? And I don't think I quite
understood the harness you use with your outside dog for balance
assistance. Is it the regular guide dog harness? If I lean in the
opposite direction I am stumbling, I still have problems, but in that
opposite direction, so I don't know that I understand how the dog
leaning the opposite direction actually assists. Could you explain?

I thank you very much for sharing a bit of your life with me. It is
very interesting to read, and I would love to hear more about your
daily life and how your dogs help also. If you do not mind sharing,
please do. Don't worry about length; I love to read *grin*

Hoping to hear more from you,
Jewel