[nagdu] street crossings

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Fri Apr 30 13:04:30 UTC 2010

Nicole,

Thanks!  I guess here all the curb cuts correspond with the regular
pedestrian path.  We don't have any of the kind of curb cuts that point you
out into the middle of the intersection to do a diagonal crossing.

But for example downtown there is parking all around the block the
courthouse is on.  If I crossed straight I'd end up in that parking area.
So Monty will veer to stay in the crosswalk and end up in the correct place.
Reversing that if we crossed straight we'd end up 20 feet from the actual
corner and we'd have to walk through the stopped traffic.  I can't imagine
how that'd be good. *smile*

I've only very recently started teaching the straight command because of T
intersections.  I found that if we crossed from a regular corner to a no
corner place, Monty was confused and veering crazy to find something that he
thought was the right place to continue walking.  I can see how that would
be confusing.

It sounds like what I'm doing is very similar to how others work various
street crossings.

Thanks!
Julie