[nagdu] Guide work and hiking

GARY STEEVES rainshadowmusic at shaw.ca
Mon Aug 16 21:29:58 UTC 2010

Hi:

I got Bogart from Guide Dogs  Canada (funded in a large way by the lions foundation of canada). Yes, we wondered about Bogart's recall but even in the first week of me being with  him at the school he would come back and check in while in the off leash park.  When we took him to the off leash park here, where there are no fences, he usually comes when called and does check in fairly often before going and running with the dogs again.

Mostly he comes when I call. I tried, from the beginning, to teach him to come when I call and do a double clap. Try to periodically give him a treat when he comes back to me when I've asked.

Today is a slow day. It is 30 degrees celcius  here which is hot for this part of the country. Yesterday  we went on a boat ride over to Bowen island where we did a hike to a view point which was a pretty smooth path just up and up and up. I assumed the view was worth it. :) then we spent a good part of the day walking around in the forest of this island. nice easy gravel paths  but we certainly walked probably about 10 km.  So Bogart is both hot and tired. I think after I take him out for his relieving I'll come back and put some cool water in the bottom of  the tub and get him to stand in it. that might help cool down him by cooling his feet. He is hot but probably happy it's only been 3 weeks since his grooming. Could be worse. :) I've managed to brush him while he lies around. He certainly  has trained me well.

Where abouts do you hike?

Gary