[nagdu] choosing a school

Dan Sweeney daniel.sweeney1 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 20 16:15:20 UTC 2010

Hi Mark,

I have been reading all the posts about which school to choose. If this is
your first dog, I would certainly take recommendations from those on this
list who have received multiple dogs, or those who have received their first
dog - and have excellent follow-up training if it was required (in a timely
manner).

I received my first dog 2 years ago this month. I have just applied for
ownership, so you know what school I got my dog from.

When I needed the help the most - when I returned home - there was no
trainer to work with me in the foreseeable future. It was not until January
until I received any personal assistance from the school. I would have
expected more. Instead I drove myself crazy working with my dog, with many
resulting injuries to myself. My confidence turned into deep depression,
none of my friends wanted to help me because they thought I should have just
returned the dog and tell the school to shove it. The idea did cross my
mind, but my heart was already captured by this dog. I don't know why, it
just was.

My next training visit was June of this year. I admit I did not get on the
phone and say "get someone out here now, or you can take this dog back", but
I was on the phone asking for assistance.

I would have appreciated more training at the school, meaning smaller class
size per instructor, and certainly more one on one follow-up, especially
when I got home, especially since it was my first dog and I was having such
problems.

I would keep these two things in mind when you are applying to a school, and
SPEAK UP if you feel you are not comfortable with the training you are
receiving.

Two years is a long time to have spent "training" a dog when I got home, but
I am glad I stuck it out. We are finally as stubborn as each other. LOL.

I do not recommend what I went through.

Daniel and Scout