[nagdu] consumer Satisfaction Survey

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Wed Dec 8 09:38:36 UTC 2010

Dear All,
    One of the major projects of the National Association of Guide Dog Users is a Consumer Satisfaction Survey and a survey of the policies and practices of guide dog training programs. Cathryn Bonnette is the Chair of the Committee developing this survey that will quantify the responses of consumers and report the results of both surveys in an effort to provide the type of information consumers want in order to make the decision of which program to attend. We are hoping that this will encourage the training programs to view us more as consumers rather than beneficiaries! Some programs treat us like responsible adults, both during the training and by recognizing that we are capable of caring for our dogs without their paternalistic, custodial policies. After all, the government cannot deny us our right to have children; yet some training programs believe we are not responsible enough to own our dogs upon completion of training and require their graduates to prove that they are doing so by submitting medical records!
    I know that this may spark a debate; however, who among you would consider allowing the government to tell you you must prove you can be a good parent before you can receive your full parental rights? Would you want the government to require you to submit your child's medical records to them every year so they can make sure you, as a blind person, are taking care of your child? As evidenced by the recent case in Missouri, you would be outraged if the state refused to allow you to take your child home from the hospital until you could prove you are a competent parent! You would certainly object to the state arbitrarily removing your child from your home just because someone *thinks* you are abusing or neglecting your child without any proof or due process! This is the type of behavior in which some training programs are engaging and this survey will expose them! They will either need to modify their policies or face the consequences of consumer choice! Watch for this survey in the spring!

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala, President
National Association of Guide Dog Users
National Federation of the Blind