[nagdu] what is a good guide dog handler?

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Wed Dec 8 22:07:16 UTC 2010

Julie,
    By many people's definition, I am probably not a "good handler" either!
I don't mind if my dog gets on the furniture - it's leather and isn't
affected by dog hair, nails, and fluids clean up easily. I don't always
remove Sarge's harness when I relieve him! I also play tug with him and even
let him win sometimes! One of his favorite toys is a tennis ball, a big
no-no if you ask a trainer! I encourage Sarge to bark when he feels like it!
If someone asks if he bites, I might say "yess", "Maybe", or "I don't know
yet"! If I find that any of these practices affect his work, I would change
them, but they don't! He is a great working dog! I let him be a dog when he
is at home, while insisting on a disciplined work ethic! I have no problem
admitting these things because I have no fear GDF will take him away from
me. After all, I own him and they have no say in the matter any more!
Lifewise, if I have a problem with some aspect of his work, I have no
concern contacting them and asking for help. I am absolutely certain that
they will not interfere in my life and know they realize they have no right
to do so! these are the privileges and assurances of ownership!

Fraternally yours,
Marion