[nagdu] Explaining to parents that guide dogs are useful

Mark J. Cadigan kramc11 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 18:16:37 UTC 2010

Hello list,

I am new to this list, and I am thinking of getting a guide dog for when I go to college. The only problem I am having is convincing my parents that a guide dog is a useful mobility tool.  As you can probably guess, that is a large obstacle. I am currently in high school, so I have to abide by my parent's wishes, or at least for now. What I am asking for is how best to explain to them, that guide dogs are useful mobility tools, that will enhance my independence rather than detract from it. I have given them literature, DVDs and have attempted to talk to them. Any instructional materiel finds its way into the circular file, and they change the subject when I talk to them. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
Mark