[nagdu] Explaining to parents that guide dogs are useful

Susan Jones sblanjones11 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 10 21:50:31 UTC 2010

Dear Mark,
I remember being in your shoes.  There are a couple of things you might
consider:
1.  If you have a particular guide dog school in mind, you might let someone
from the school have a chat with your parents, if they are willing.  I made
a bad choice, in that when I applied to Seeing Eye, I did not tell them that
my parents had a problem with my getting a guide dog.  I was ashamed to tell
them we were having a disagreement on this issue. It came out later, of
course.  My parents finally relented, and allowed me to get a guide dog.  I
flew to Morristown, NJ the day after I graduated from high school.

2.  Consider that going to college, especially away from home, is a bit of
an adjustment.  It might do you well to use your cane for a year, and not
make so many adjustments at once.  If you do that, you might win your
parents' ear after the first year.  Or, you might just have to wait until
they are not paying the bills, and you can make your own adult decisions.
Unfortunately, I was not very mature when starting college.  My parents
could see this, and for that reason, felt it would be better if I started
out with my cane.  My first dog and I washed out after three years, because
I was not mature enough to motivate her to behave properly.  Oh, there was
so much I didn't know then that I wish I had!I then picked up my cane, and
really learned well how to use it.  I traveled with a cane for 21 years
before getting my next guide dog, partially because that first experience
turned out so badly.

When I was young, I remember how slowly a year went.  Now that I am in my
late 50's, I realize, a year isn't really that long.
I know everyone's situation is different, so, for what it's worth, there is
my perspective.  Whatever you end up doing, my hope and prayer is that
everything will turn out well for you!

Blessings,
Susan & Guiding Eyes dog Rhoda
You