[nagdu] researching programs

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Sat Feb 13 22:45:00 UTC 2010

Mark,

Others have addressed the ownership issue very well already. As to what
breeds make the best guides...well, I suppose it depends on who you ask.
*smile*  Statistically speaking Labrador retrievers make the best guides or
at least the most people use them with success.  Next most common are Golden
Retrievers and German shepherds, although shepherds are becoming few and far
between.  My personal opinion is that this is due to the large difference
between American bred shepherds vs, the European lines.  there are also
other breeds and crosses of dogs being used as guides like Poodles, Doberman
Pinchers, Collies, Vislas and my favorite the Boxer!

What breed of dog is best really depends on the individual, the particular
dog, the environment and how well the human and canine work together.  I
have a Boxer mix right now.  We work very well together, but I think that is
because we are both exceedingly stubborn.  I think he would drive a lot of
other people absolutely crazy.

As to the paperwork issue...some of the programs require that you fill out
yearly reports.  I can't remember which ones off the top of my head.  I
think most will request that you keep them updated on the dog's health and
the success of the team and when the dog retires.  They want to improve
their breeding program and the success of future teams.  If something
hereditary can be identified through these reports, it makes the breeding
and/or training program that much stronger.

HTH
Julie