[nagdu] guide dogs

AnnaLisa Anderson annalisa at sector14.net
Sat Feb 20 01:44:40 UTC 2010

Hi Jennifer,

Welcome to the list.  I am from St. Paul, MN, and Sundance is my second
Leader Dog.  She is a gorgeous golden retriever who is 7 years old.  We are
coming up on our fifth anniversary in March.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this.  I really can't relate to it, as
my family was always very supportive of me getting a dog.  I informed the
from the time I was very little that I wanted to get a guide dog.  Where do
you live in relation to Seeing Eye?  I'm wondering if you could arrange some
sort of a visit or tour for your parents?  Or at least have a trainer talk
to them so they have a better understanding of what goes into training and
caring for the dogs, and what your responsibility as a handler will be.  You
will be taught everything you need to know in regard to caring for and
picking up after your pup.  Yes, Rebecca is right, there will be times when
stepping in poop happens.  However, those times are the exception, not the
rule if you always pick up after your dog.  They have to understand that
your dog is not just some pet who is not well mannered or well groomed.

I wish you all the best.

AnnaLisa and Sundance