[nagdu] guide dogs

The Pawpower Pack pawpower4me at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 15:58:10 UTC 2010

Jennifer,

When you first get a new dog it is a good idea to crate the dog or to
use some kind of tie out so that your dog cannot wander around at will
while you are sleeping.

Once the dog proves reliable at night, you can choose to allow more
freedom.

I owner train and for the first few months I do crate my dogs; I don't
use tie outs.  Gradually I start giving her more freedom and may,
after a time, leave her out while I nap in the afternoon just to see
how she does.

My current guide, Laveau has been sleeping free in the house (usually
on my pillow curled around my head) after only a month of being crated
at night.  My kitchen has a door, though so I can keep her from
snacking.  I also don't have a cat, so she cannot raid the box.

It really just depends on your dog and your home and what you are
comfortable with.  My husband's guide still sleeps in his crate at
night; he's not locked in, but he goes in anyway and sleeps there.

Good luck
Rox and the Kitchen Bitches
Bristol (retired), Mill'E SD. and Laveau Guide Dog, CGC.
"It's wildly irritating to have invented something as revolutionary as
sarcasm, only to have it abused by amateurs." -- Christopher Moore
pawpower4me at gmail.com

Windows Live Only: Brisomania at hotmail.com
AIM: Brissysgirl Yahoo: lillebriss