[nagdu] Where your dog sleeps at night, etc.

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 22 00:32:31 UTC 2010

Jennifer,
    At first, you are right! For the first few weeks or even months, it is
important to teach your dog some boundaries aroung your home and in its
work. Once these boundaries are established and reinforced, they will adhere
to them. As I mentioned, there may also be some times in which you will need
to go back to "Guide dog 101" (the basics). As long as your dog is working
well and under control, you can do as you wish.
    Here is an example: My guide dog is a collie/Shepherd. She doesn't care
if anyone give her attention, as long as she gets it from me. If someone
reaches to pet her, she will turn her head away. My wife's dogs, on the
other hand, have been very gregarious  and welcome attention from anyone
willing to offer it. If I am out alone and someone asks to pet my dog, I
might allow them to do so, explaining that they should always ask before
petting a service animal because most people will not allow it. On the other
hand, if I am out with my wife, I will never allow someone to pet my dog, as
my wife cannot allow it because of her dogs' temperament. Not only is it
confusing to the public that they can pet mine but not hers, it's confusing
to her dog, as well!
    This is just one example of what we might learn at guide dog school and
how we may handle it differently in the field. there are many many more
examples others may offer.

Fraternally yours,
Marion