[nagdu] Guide dog or guard dog?

Linda Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Sat Jan 16 05:25:31 UTC 2010

In this day and age, I don't think it is unreasonable to have a guide dog
who might give "the evil eye" at someone who may be contemplating something
untoward towards us.

One day back in 1996, I was at a busstop with my German shepherd guide.
These two school-age girls were fighting about something and the fight was
escalating to the point where I was beginning to think about looking for
another busstop to wait at.  The whole time, my dog was staring at them with
ears up and alert. All of a sudden, one of the fighters noticed the dog and
said,"Oh we better stop this - we're upsetting that dog!"  Then the fight
stopped! (grin!)  I was happy about that turn of events and then my bus came
and I boarded it.

Guess the dog was giving them The Look! Also, lots of times people will ask
if my dog bites.  I just say either, "You don't want to find that out." or
"He's got teeth, doesn't he?" I had to say that to some unruley kids in
Walmart today when a friend and I walked through the doors.

Lyn and Landon