[nagdu] Airports

Jenine Stanley jeninems at wowway.com
Thu Jan 21 16:46:20 UTC 2010

The relief area at Port Columbus International airport here in Columbus,
Ohio has been around for several years now. It was used as an illustration
in some of the documentation issued by FAA to airports. Unfortunately, it
too is outside of the secure area.

Two other things are mandated in the new regs regarding these areas.

1. Airport/airline staff must assist you in locating the designated area.
2. You will be able to receive priority screening when returning through
security.

My only experience with this system, and admittedly it was prior to the regs
going into effect last May, was in Memphis. The airport person assisting me
placed my carry-on bag in a secured office while we went out. He got special
passes for me and himself to return through security without having to be
scanned. Not sure how he did that but it worked nicely. Once done we
recovered my bag and I went back to my gate.

This past weekend when coming through Dollis in DC, we had to exit our plane
while it refueled. Since this was only going to take about 5 minutes, I
asked the captain if I might take Swap out on the tarmac to relieve. He gave
me an escort to a safe area where Swap decided to do everything but relieve.
<grin> No problem though. We awaited the dressing down a TSA official gave
to our fellow passengers while they waited as instructed outside the plane.
Happily it didn't happen.

Has anyone whose done recent travel noticed or had it pointed out to them
any signage designating these relief areas? Just curious. I had suggested to
the airlines that they use a simple paw shape with the words "Service Animal
Relief Area." I wonder if that has happened. Sorry to Ann and anyone else
with a service animal who does not have paws. <grin>

Jenine Stanley
jeninems at wowway.com