[nagdu] Finicky eaters

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sat Jul 3 17:53:11 UTC 2010

Mark,

Funny how that works, eh?  /grin/ The dirty little secret of some guide dog
users -- some of whom will even admit it -- is that we do the same thing to
get our dogs to eat.  My other dirty little secret is that with the
Mitzi-Daisy combination, I have gone so far off proper guide dog feeding
protocol that I'm going to have to change my identity because the Guide Dog
Police are out looking for me.  /grin/

For some reason, many people are very rigid about the perfect feeding
schedule and methods for guide dogs, convinced that if you vary even once
from those rules you will ruin your guide dog permanently.  Most of these
people are not actual guide dog users, of course.  Nor even instructors,
whose job it is to spend 28 days teaching random collections of new guide
dog users everything they need to know to use and care for a guide dog.  So
they have to be prett;y strict about the rules and schedules, since their
pupils often have little or no prior experience with dogs.

The rules and schedules are perfectly valid and good, of course.  They
represent the best practices for the vast majority of dogs, even pets, for
good health and bonding and behavior.

It's just those of us who have nonstandard dogs who vary those good feeding
practices to best meet the needs of our individual guides and schedules who
learn not to admit it to the general public, because we *will* get lectured!
Trust me, I know, because apparently everyone knows exactly what I should
and should not do, and it is their duty as citizens to make sure I know and
understand!

Okay, only a few people do that, and it turns is that their expertise is
from having seen a guide dog once on the bus ...  /lol/  After the 10th such
lecture or so, though, it does get a little old.  I nod and let them tell me
all about it, but I get bored after awhile.  /smile/  Well, and there was
this one ADL instructor who I finally just stopped having into my home.  Her
roommate had a lab and had been through a basic obedience course, so of
course the instructor knew way more how to manage and train a guide dog than
I did!  When she started actively interfering with my pup, that was the end
of that.

Anyway, since I have a dog who seems to require a bit of adjustment to the
standard protocol, I've varied from it, and then I've varied a bit more
because of Daisy.  Rather because of the odd dynamic between our two
Princesses.  We watch amounts, and we watch their weight, and we make sure
they each have plenty of exercise and play, too, so it's all good.  If I had
a different dog with a different metabolism and food orientation, I would
follow the proper protocol, because it's a good one.  /smile/

We will not talk about DD and his handling of table scraps ...  It's a
foundation of his bond with Daisy, and he does it wisely to avoid fat dog
and allergy symptoms, as well as to reinforce proper table manners, and it
works.  Our dogs have three sets of table manners, depending on where in the
house we're eating and whether or not we have company.  I take extra care
with the poodle nose when we're walking through restaurants, but she's a
poodle, so I would have to do than anyway.  Still!  Once Daisy moves on to
her next existence, I plan to do some retraining there.  I expect to have
but limited success, because if there's one thing more stubborn than Daisy
and Mitzi put together, it Daisy's Dad.  /lol/

Okay.  Just entertaining myself while people are off to convention.  /smile/
Hope everyone has a great and productive time there.

Oh, could someone please touch every single piece of technology on display
for me?  Don't forget to drool!  Or wrestle the really cool bits away from
the guardians so you can hold it tenderly to your breast and weep over it.
/grin/  If there's one thing I'm gushier about than I am dogs, it's the geek
stuff.  Especially if it's too exorbitantly priced to actually use in case
you break it, naturally.

Tami Smith-Kinney