[nagdu] There were many of you who left you guide dogs home forconvention what can you recommend to others

Marsha Drenth marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 15:35:15 UTC 2010

Yes I left my pup home while at convention. To be honest it is a handlers
choice to do this or not. It was very hard for me to decide to leave her. I
started my search for a puppy sitter back in April. Mainly because the week
of July 4th is very busy for a lot of people, and I wanted to nail down
someone before they made major plans. I posted a inquire to several lists,
lists for guide dogs, about needing a puppy sitter. I got a few responses,
not many but a few. The person I finally found, is a puppy raiser for the
school I received Emma from. So in that way, she was already familiar with
the way of which I work with Emma. I got to know her over a few weeks ahead
of time, asked what she did for work, what her home life was like, if she
had any other pets, and so on. We had a meet up before I actually left Emma.
And her and Emma and any other puppies got to meet then. They wanted to
play, and got along pretty well. The pups she has currently are pups that
the school either had a surplus on, or for medical reasons they could not go
any further in the program. When it was time to leave Emma, I made a list of
oru routine, what she likes and does not, her habits, and a list of things I
was providing, and her medical records including shots and such. For Emma I
provided, her crate, food, bowl, her favorite bone, lease, GL, and
paperwork. We arrange a time for drop off, and Emma went on her way. I was
able to check in with her and Emma throught the week I was gone. I as well
left numerous ways for the sitter to contact me in case of an accident or
emergencey. If I had not had a puppy raiser from my school, I would have
probably done a simple background check too, but that was not necessary in
this case. I treat emma like a child in some regards, when it comes to
people taking care of her. But that also insures me that she will come back
to me well and safe, and ready to go back to work.

That was for us, its not going to be the same for everyone else.

Marsha