[nagdu] . Guide - service parrot.

Artie. anolden at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Jul 27 04:05:20 UTC 2010

Hi,

            I changed the subject line to fit the topic.

    I'm a member of a hearing loss discussion group where a member lives in Seattle.  They talk about anything in that group.  Last week the fella said that lots of people walk around in the city with a parrot on their shoulder.  I guess i'll be asking if those people go into public places, such as supermarkets, K-mart, etc.

    About five years ago I'd heard of a case in the UK, a parrot woke up its sound-asleep deaf person to alert him to the smoke alarm, and saved both lives.

        Artie and GDF Golden gide dog JJ by the Gulf, west central Flor'da.
        Dusty's Light will Shine Forever!

    From: "Jewel S."

Is that a joke? There are actually parrots who assist. A service
animal doesn't have to be a guide animal. A parrot could press buttons
on a phone, turn dials, pick up items, speak phrases trained to a
specific signal (for example, a person who is deaf, when making the
sign for "Help" may have trained the parrot to then say "Can you help
me?" then further signs for different things they might need help with
could signal the parrot to say certain phrases. A parrot could also
easily flip light switches, flush a toilet, or turn a faucet on/off.