[nagdu] EXTERNAL: Puppy raising

Pickrell, Rebecca M (TASC) REBECCA.PICKRELL at tasc.com
Wed Jul 28 15:22:34 UTC 2010

Hi Meghan. The way you explain the leaving and coming back makes sense.
You're teaching a very defined skill, unlike with parents who teach "how
to be a good person" which is very different. In your situation, you're
trying to stop the dog from barking and you reintroduced the situation
quickly so the good behavior was reinforced.
My problem with the "just leave if the dog acts up" is that it teaches
the dog that if it is just tired of working, all it need do is act up.
Your explamation sounds like it teaches the correct behavior v. the
incorrect one. In fairness, this can be very difficult to keep in mind.
I'm still not sure why service dogs in training need the rights that
guide dog users do. Your thoughts? I guess I don't understand why asking
for permission and sticking to dog-friendly places wouldn't be enough?