[nagdu] EXTERNAL: Puppy raising

Dan Weiner dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net
Sat Jul 31 16:01:59 UTC 2010

No, I don't think they can take it, they're coming in to your house, if you
hold on to it, and they are really so gain to get their property back, they
can sue you if they feel it's worth it.
They don't,  they don't need to, because most of us feel that whatever the
school says goes.  If you borrow my radio, and I come in to your house and
feel it needs to go back, do I have a right just to take the radio from your
house?

It's called stealing, and if it's their property, they can put a claim for
it.
 I'll tell you, after a few things I've heard, I'll keep my hand on a
harness at all times when in company of school reps--smile.
Now, you say: "don't you trust them" well, there are school reps I really
like, even could say I'm crazy about, but it's not them individually I'm
worried about, it's an organization's policy.
I'm saying this hypothetically as it's never happened to me--smile.
So, since the schools won't sell us tack pretty much, and without the
harness working the dog is problematic, then we can't work our dogs no
matter what.

Therefore, I encourage all of us if possible to acquire, have made, buy,
whatever, guide dog harnesses.

Remember, according to the ADA, it's the dog's training that makes it a
service dog, not a school harness.

Now, I'd be happy to as they say, name names, but unfortunately without
permission of people things have happened to I really shouldn't, as it would
be unethical.
But for example, someone who's retiring their dog, the field rep comes and
says "to make sure you won't work your dog, so you won't forget, I'll take
the harness".
Now, what if this individual needs to take a taxi, walk to the mail box,  go
to church, go in someone's car to a restaurant? The dog is still safe, in
those areas.? Doesn't he as a handler have any decision-making capability as
to when he should or should not work his dog?
I certainly did when my dogs approached retirement.   I knew certain things
would be problematic, and I healed my dog or left him home, may he rest in
peace.

I'm curious what the legal eagles think or people with more experience than
I, but I find this whole thing of, let the school do what it wants as it
knows best" to be problematic at best.