[nagdu] waiting time?

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Wed Jun 16 17:33:35 UTC 2010

Gail,

My understanding has always been that the programs want to know that you
have good orientation skills so that you will be able to direct a dog
appropriately.  If you don't know where you're going you can't communicate
that to the dog.  I know many of them ask for a report from an O&M
professional, but I think that's just for ease of communication of this
skill set.  You should be able to demonstrate your O&M skills through a
video or home interview.

There are books available on O&M skills that are broken down in fairly easy
to follow steps from beginner to more advanced.  I've just read one not too
long ago, "Care and Feeding of the Long White Cane" I think is what it was
called.  NLS has a variety of choices on the topic, but I haven't read any
of them so I won't recommend one over another.  I'd suggest reading
everything you can on the topic and practicing every day, several times a
day.  In the beginning this might be just walking back and forth in a hall
in your home to get proper grip, alignment and technique down pat.  Then
progress to walking back and forth on a clear sidewalk.  Then venture to the
corner.  You get the idea, tiny measurable steps every single day will add
up to a skill you can be proud of.

I wouldn't worry about complicated street crossings for a while yet.  If you
do all the ground work, you'll know when you're ready.  The next step should
feel challenging and maybe cause a bit of nervous tension, but should
absolutely not be overwhelming or terrorizing.  If it is back up and
practice more at the previous levels.  If you're familiar at all with
clicker training, it's the same principles. *smile*

Best of luck!
Julie