[nagdu] Second trip out with cane, and more questions!

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Sat Jun 19 21:03:18 UTC 2010

Gail,

About using sleepshades...
I'd say that if you are comfortable with using them by yourself then go
ahead.  I'd be very, very careful to take things slowly and build up your
skills gradually.  Putting on sleepshades and going on a trip to a mall or a
theme park with the family is probably not a good idea at this point.
Solid baby steps are what you're going for.  Think tortoise!

Sleepshades have a few purposes, but none of them is to cause harm or create
a nervous breakdown. *smile*
They are used to block out visual information so you can concentrate on the
nonvisual stuff and they are used to build confidence in the nonvisual
skills.

Best of luck!
Julie