[nagdu] Depressed and Discouraged

Elizabeth Rene emrene at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 20 04:52:53 UTC 2010

Gail, I wonder if there isn't a way to circumvent this dorky doctor problem.

I think the Client Assistance is the appropriate legal path if the doc is
employed by Kansas' Blind Services Department, but isn't it almost a cliché
that blind services departments are unresponsive to their constituencies?

I think that might be the appropriate administrative route, but there might
be a shorter one.

I don't know you at all, and certainly don't want to intrude or crowd you,
but might I call GDA to float the general question of what someone should do
in your situation who is applying to GDA?

I've known the training director since 1977, and the admissions director
since 1998.  I keep in touch with both pretty regularly, and think I might
have some street cred.  Guide dog schools are private philanthropies, not
government agencies.  They have their guidelines, yes, but they admit you if
they want to.  Their goal is to help you be independent, not to dole out a
scarce public benefit per bureaucratic edict.

What would you say?

I laughed when I read your comments re the canine sigh in church.  I think a
well-timed raspberry during one of those pregnant pauses in the pompous
pastor's sermon might be in order--in the fantasy world of our dreams where
holy men take a prophetic hint from God's giggly Holy Spirit.

Even Jesus learned something from a dog--that even they get the crumbs that
fall from the children's table.  The Saraphoenecian, foreign-born woman who
stood up to Jesus with that line when he told her his ministry was only to
the Jews woke him up to his call to universality and the diversity of his
flock.  He liked what she told him, and healed her daughter as asked.  That
kind of encounter is what fuels my faith.

Take heart,

Elizabeth