[nagdu] Puppy Raisers

Pickrell, Rebecca M (TASC Inc) REBECCA.PICKRELL at tasc.com
Mon Mar 1 17:27:43 UTC 2010

We have discussed raising a puppy when our daughter is older.
First, if you can't give the dog back, and you know you aren't
emotionally able to do that,t hen why raise a puppy? Nobody has to raise
one if they don't want to.
I can see some bennifits, you get to meet people in the community, you
get to help a person and organization in a way other than writing a
check and putting it in the mail, and raising a puppy seems to be one of
the few things a child can be involved with if that child really likes
dogs
Also, because I've worked two guide dogs, I know what behavior will be
good and what will harm a dog's career.
Finally, another bennifit to raising a puppy is that you aren't
committing to a dog for its entire life. You also don't have to go
through the sadness of watching a dog age.
Ginger, thank you for your honesty about it not being a total selfless
act.