[nagdu] always taking the dog was guide dogs

The Pawpower Pack pawpower4me at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 21:59:29 UTC 2010

Lyn,

Yes, my dog does hearing dog tasks-- alerts to smoke alarms; to my
name being called; to the beeping of large trucks backing up.  I never
know when I'll need any of these things and I feel much safer when
she's with me.  If I went sighted guide, and if that guide left me for
a moment or two, that is when something is likely to happen, and it has.
I also have a chronic inner ear disease which causes a great deal of
vertigo sometimes to the degree that I cannot walk without support.
There is also the issue of lack of proprioception while undergoing a
vertigo attack, so I am going left when I think I'm turning right.  In
these cases my dog has to over-ride my cues and my body language and
get me where I need to be.  In these cases she is totally in charge
because although I may know how to get there, I can't make my body do
what it needs and I basically hang on to the dog and let her figure it
out.  I'm glad she's a take charge kind of girl.

Rox and the Kitchen Bitches
Bristol (retired), Mill'E SD. and Laveau Guide Dog, CGC.
"It's wildly irritating to have invented something as revolutionary as
sarcasm, only to have it abused by amateurs." -- Christopher Moore
pawpower4me at gmail.com

Windows Live Only: Brisomania at hotmail.com
AIM: Brissysgirl Yahoo: lillebriss