[nagdu] harness signs

Jeanette Beal bealjk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 13:57:51 UTC 2010

I'm wondering how much of the interaction between public and dog is
gender-based to the handler? As a woman, I know that I'm interacted with on
a slightly different level than men - called 'little lady' by
many-a-older-guy on public transit, etc. I know there was a study done
recently (um, 20/20 special so not really a study) with a blind man & a
blind woman trying to buy pastries in a shop and the woman was actually
stood up for/defended more readily by an incredulous public than the man. Is
this because women are inherently viewed as inferior and in need of
protection? Probably.
So when a female handler walks around with her dog is it  much easier to
disregard her and interact with her dog? Perhaps. I've had men spit in my
face because I told them to leave my dog alone. Granted he spit in my face
after he started petting my dog and I said no and he said F-off and I said
oh really? And stepped between dog & dude and dude then pushed at me so I
slapped him in the face and he spit on me and then....ran away. But the main
point was I said no and he said "so?" and continued his bad behavior.
I have a hard time with this subject. It's so rooted in my need for safety
in public as a woman - using public transit and getting groped by a dude
behind or next to me feels as dirty and disgusting as unauthorized petting
of my dog by a stranger. So how do I reconcile my need for safety and
autonomy with the day-to-day hassles all handlers have in public?
I do so by not allowing people to pet my dog. By demanding that I be asked
first. By expecting my answer to be respected - if I say no it means no.
This goes for my body as much as my dog's.  And unfortunately the waiting
public takes away that I'm a rude, withholding human. But my safety is more
important than public image.
Unfortunately we aren't in a vacuum and all blind people speak for all blind
people in front of AB folks. So when someone lets the public pet their dog
in harness they send a message that I will to. And when I say no and am
assumed rude I send a message that all blind people are rude.
It's a crappy inter-connected all-disabled-folk-are-the-same world.
Jeanette

--
Jeanette Beal
MS.Ed Assistive Technology
bealjk at gmail.com
http://twitter.com/bealjk
http://bealjk.tumblr.com/

"Talent is an invention like phlogiston after the fact of fire" - Marge
Piercy