[nagdu] presentation about blindness

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 16 06:29:05 UTC 2010

Hm... Fifth graders can be actually kinda cool about mobility devices and
blindness.  They're old enough to grasp it and that it means something for
you, but still curious enough and open enough to think creatively about what
it really means.  /smile/  So they may be shy at first, thinking it all over
and trying to figure out how to express their curiosity, but once you let
them know it's okay for them to ask questions...  Watch out!  You'll learn
things about blindness and how you use your cane or your dog or brush your
teeth or... Than you ever imagined knowing just by being blind.  /lol/

Interactions with people in general when using a dog vs. using a cane are
very different, but in ways that can be difficult to describe or explain.
You interact with a lot more people when you have a dog, but often because
they're talking to your dog.  /smile/  Or they want to talk to you about
your dog, which is great, because I haven't met a guide dog user yet who
can't talk about their dog all stinking day.  Including me!

People aren't too likely to pet your cane while it's working, but I have had
my cane grabbed firmly and had to wrestle it back.  Nobody praises my cane
along with me for stopping at a curb.  /lol/

Sorry, it's late, so I'm throwing out random silly stuff.  When I first had
Mitzi, it seemed my friends and neighbors all had kids around the same age,
either just into or just a year or two before 5th grade.  Funny, funny
critters they are.  You will surely find yourself answering more random
silliness than you ever thought possible.  /grin/

Have fun!

Tami Smith-Kinney