[nagdu] rejected by teh lions club?

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Mon May 3 17:13:50 UTC 2010

Rox,

Yeah, I love this list for that!  /smile/  When I first introduced myself, I
promptly ran and hid under the bed to avoid being hit by all the rocks and
rotten tomatoes I was expecting to come flying through my computer screen
from all those "real" guide dog users...  /lol/  I had already gotten "The
Treatment" elsewhere, but I was desperate for knowledge.  It had been very
clear to me that I was the only person in the world crazy, stupid,
irresponsible, etc., etc., to train my own guide dog.  Who else would even
think such a thing?

So naturally, the first welcome was from Julie, then from others who told me
about Julie in a way that clearly indicated they have a lot of respect for
her...  /grin/

And referred me to other owner-trainer specific lists!  Whew!  Even one that
focuses on operant conditioning.

The fact that people on this list have been not only welcoming but always
willing to answer questions, share stories, offer moral support, etc., etc.,
is probably the only reason I've had such a smooth road to becoming the kind
of guide dog user I want to be without benefit of those weeks of training me
from the guide dog schools.  /smile/  It's one thing to take hold of the
harness handle and follow your dog down the sidewalk and across the street
without doing yourself in.  It's another to be able to arrive at a business
meeting conveying the image of yourself as a competent professional human
with a competent professional guide dog!  I would still be tearing my hair
out trying to figure out how to pull that part off had I not had the chance
to learn from all you "real" guide dog users.  /grin/

Facing another round of struggle for the other resources I need to get back
to being a professional human, I especially like knowing that I am not
beholden and expected to feeling obsequient gratitude for my guide dog.  Not
that I would feel that type of gratitude had I gotten my dog through a
program.  I would be grateful, very, but I wouldn't burst into tears over it
every five minutes!

And while I'm being blatantly accused of trying to rob the state --
especially all those blind people who *need* the services I am attempting to
subvert -- I do find it comforting to leave the meeting using a valuable
resource I provided myself, thus leaving one available for another person
who chose to get a good guide dog without having to train it themselves.

If I need to get a program dog next time, I will feel grateful for all the
work and time and donations that went into making it available for me.  I
don't expect to feel guilty, either, for ripping it from the hands of a
blind person who really  needs it, either.  /lol/

Tami Smith-Kinney