[nagdu] SELF TRAINING

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Mon May 3 17:44:24 UTC 2010

Cheryl,

That's a very good question, and one every owner-trainer has to decide first
because it determines how they will find an actual dog to train.

As a first-timer, I hemmed and hawed and weighed.  I'm morally in favor of
the pound hound over a purebred, and pound hound certainly fit my resources
better!  Getting a dog that was already mature enough -- or at least close
to it -- to train then use as a guide was also an attractive notion!

On the other hand was the uncertainty of the dog's background and breeding
from both a behavioral and health perspective.  Iffy, very iffy.

Also, I was fairly new to Portland, and still just getting back on my feet
with my own health, so I didn't have a network of trusted people here yet to
point me toward other people who had likely pups of the right age and wanted
to find new homes for them for some reason.  I didn't want to go around
answering a lot of ads in the paper at that point.

So I thought I would call poodle breeders in Oregon, since I was interested
in that breed from researching them while I was still married to Mr.
Allergy, and see what was what and where and how much....

And got lucky!  Serendipity abounded!  Woohoo!  One of them, with whom I hit
it off almost instantly, had exactly what I was looking for in terms of
temperament for a good companion with strong potential as a guide dog
prospect.  The pup was then 6 months old, and she was asking half price for
her and really wanted her to go to a good home.  So....

Mitzi was 5 days short of 7 months when she arrived.  She had been
pack-raised, meaning she ran around the breeder's property with the other
dogs and people and extended family.  She had not had any prior training or
even much individual handling.  One question I forgot to ask, assuming that
it wasn't a worry with a pup that age, was whether she was house broken.
Oops!  I wouldn't trade Mitzi poodle for the world, but I won't do *that*
again!  House breaking a sweet young baby pup is one thing, and the mistakes
are small and easy to clean up.  This is not so true with a near-adolescent.
The dog was so great otherwise and showed me so much of her potential early
on, that I stuck it through.  Also, by the time I realize how not simple the
house training was going to be, she had my heart as well and had showed me
even more wonderfulness....

So now that I've done it with a slightly older pup and gotten to know
owner-trainers who have found more nearly adult pups with good obedience and
socialization already in place, I lean towards looking for a year- to
18-month-old when it starts looking like it's time to do that.

I also am thinking of looking for a pup in the 3 to 4 month range so that I
can start the obedience and socializing while it's still young and
impressionable, instead of when it's already started to develop a mind of
it's own prior to the rebel teen phase.  Then I remember the rebel teen
phase and think getting a more mature late adolescent or subadult is a
really, really good idea.  /grin/

I also plan to have Mitzi raise the next one as she prepares to transition
to retirement as a grand old lady.  So if there's no hurry on the
replacement, I will probably lean towards seeking a younger pup.  I do like
building my own foundation for future training, despite the long period of
puppy nonsense you have to go through before you get to guide dog.  And you
gotta admit, the puppy nonsense is at least as cute and fun as it is
aggravating.  /smile/

Anyway, that is my current take on it, for what it's worth.

Tami Smith-Kinney