[nagdu] Replacement Dog

Linda Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Fri May 7 20:55:56 UTC 2010

Hi Cheryl O,
I have had to return a couple of dogs for a variety of reasons.  it happens.
You are dealing with a living being and sometimes the match or team just
doesn't work out.

Also, you can't "make" a dog be a guide - they have to WANT to do the work.
The schools all understand this and they can tell the difference if the
problem with the team is a consistant problem with the handler or not or if
the problem lies with the dog.  Sometimes it's just a plain old mismatch -
the handler does well with another dog and the dog does better with another
handler.

The schools tries its best to make the best match possible.  This is why it
is important to give them as much info about you, your lifestyle, whereyou
live, what you like or dislike in a dog, etc.  they use all this info to
find the best match.  But, sometimes in spite of doing this, the team fails.

Don't feel bad about this and beat yourself up about it. Is it
heartbreaking?  Absolutely!  You invest time and love of the dog and it is
hard when it still doesn't work out.

Your school will hapily train you with another dog and it isn't wasting
their resources.  They understand this can happen and they plan for it. They
want you to suceed and have a good partnership with your dog.

Good luck with the new dog.

Regards,

Lyn and Landon