[nagdu] airports and security

Marsha Drenth marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 18:32:13 UTC 2010

Hi folks,

On Monday, my hubby and I flew to Texas for thanksgiving. I did not have my
pup with me, as last Thursday, I fell yet again, and sprained my ankle and
tore a ligament in my leg. So I am on crutches and wearing a splint,
probably for at least 2 weeks. So I used a wheelchair to go through
security. Well lets just say, my experience was not pleasant. I was subject
to the pat down. The pat down was with another female in a private room.
Lets just say that my personal space was totally violated. Their hands went
in areas that a stranger is not suppose to go. I felt so dirty and
disgusting after wards. I saw all the reports on the news, facebook and
twitter, about women being vilated through security checks, and I didn't
believe them, or atleast I wanted to give them the benefit of doubt. But
they are true. By the time it was all over, I was crying. I set off alarms
twice, from different parts of body being swabbed. So then they had to go
through all my stuff and my husbands. I can't imagine what it would have
been like if I had gone through with my dog. It took us 45 minutes to get
through security. I know, I know, I know what you all are saying, the
security is there to protect us. But come on people, me, a totally blind,
hearing impaired, sprained ankle sort of  person in a wheelchair is the
least likely person to do anything. Hell I can't even walk at the moment.
The people being targeted for the pat downs are the people like elderly, the
disabled, and children. I know we can't be too careful, but there has to be
a better way.

This was just my experience. If anyone else wants to hear more graphic
details, email me off list.

I know this is off topic, and not talking about guide dogs, but since I am a
guide dog user, thought I would share my comments and experiences.

Marsha