[nagdu] Portion of pit bull ban is overturned

Ginger Kutsch gingerKutsch at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 26 12:24:21 UTC 2010

Portion of pit bull ban is overturned
 Jessie James
http://www.9news.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=165826
<http://www.9news.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=165826&cati
d=346> &catid=346
AURORA - Allen Grider Sr. spent a year of his life fighting for
his country in the jungles of Vietnam. He's spent the last year
of his life fighting against the City of Aurora to keep his
service dog. That's because Grider's service dog has been
identified by Aurora as a pit bull, a breed banned by legislation
passed in 2005.

Grider served as a United States Marine in Vietnam. When his tour
of duty ended and he came home, the memories of war came with
him.

"If you ever kill somebody, don't look them in the eyes. You'll
never forget it and I don't. I wake up every night looking at
that and it is terrifying," says Grider.

He struggled to deal with everyday life until doctors with the
Veterans Administration diagnosed him as having post traumatic
stress disorder.

"When I went to the program at the VA hospital they told me to
get a service dog, so I got Precious and she's been my service
dog. She's my heart and soul," says Grider.

He has worked with Precious as his service dog for seven years.
About a year ago the City of Aurora ordered Grider to remove the
dog from the city in order to comply with its pit bull ban.
Grider had a friend, who lived outside the City of Aurora, care
for Precious while he sought legal help to fight the ruling.

That fight may be over as the U.S. Department of Justice has
issued a clarification of ADA regulations as they relate to
restricted breeds of dogs. That clarification states that
municipalities will no longer be able to prohibit a disabled
person from using a restricted breed as a service dog. The
Department of Justice has given municipalities with breed
restrictions until March 15, 2011 to comply with the ruling.

The City and County of Denver have already taken steps to do so.
On December 6 city council will consider a bill that would modify
their current pit bull ban to allow the breed to be used as
service dogs. Pit bulls not used as service dogs would still be
banned under the law.

Aurora city attorney, Charlie Richardson says their city council
will look at and consider all options.

There are currently nine cities in Colorado with restricted breed
bans.