[nagdu] self training or privately training a guide

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Thu Oct 14 12:03:40 UTC 2010

rusty,

There really aren't too many resources.  I mainly learned how to train my
guides by just doing it and asking questions of other guide dog handlers
when I couldn't figure out the details of something.  There aren't books on
the topic, except for one in an old dialect of German.  Also I'm working on
writing a book, but it's months from being complete.  Although I'm not
intending my book to be how to train your own guide dog.  It is just my
account of how I trained my dogs.

I did read a lot of books on dog training, service dog training and teaching
tricks to dogs.  Then I'd take the bits and pieces that seemed to apply to
guide dog training and adapt them as necessary.   I'd say the most useful
information came from email lists and conversations with other owner
trainers.

The only other way I can think of to learn how to train a guide dog is to
apprentice at one of the guide dog programs.

Julie