[nagdu] Italian greyhound guide dog?

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 02:20:45 UTC 2010

When I saw that he is claiming an Italian Greyhound to be his guide
dog, the first thing I thought is "If an IG, why not a teacup poodle
or chihuahua?" I don't think so!

IGs are extremely delicate, highly energetic dogs. They are very
personable and smart, yes, but at only a foot tall and ten to fifteen
pounds, they are toy breeds and tiny things for sure. I would be
afraid of the leather harness rubbing their skin to scabs. I knew a
breeder of IGs who told me that you could only brush an IG with a soft
brush because their skin is very fragile. This is true of full-size
greyhounds also. This breeder also created and sold special collars
for greyhounds and italian greyhounds, because the collars you get at
the store for dogs rub sores into greyhounds' necks. A harness would
be pure torture to an IG (The special collars he made were leather on
the outside, padded with thick fleece. The leather part of the collar
was very thin, and it had an ultra-thin buckle and tag/leash clip.
This was because the weight can leave welts in a greyhound's neck).

There are so many things that make me shudder at the thought of an
Italian Greyhound in harness. I'll list them.. I will call these the
top five reasons IGs can't be guide dogs...
.
1) As I said above, the harness would leave sores and welts.
2)2) IGS are extremely fragile dogs. Not only is their skin fragile,
but they are prone to bruised bones and sprained joints.
3) Extreme weather can send an IG to the emergency vet, whether it is
snow or rain, extreme cold or extreme heat. Do you want to give that
poor dog hypothermia, heat exhaustion or sun burn, or pneumonia? You
will, if you take him/her in extreme weather conditions! IGs are fair
weather dogs only.
4) IGs, like their larger counterparts, are very energetic dogs, bred
for racing and hunting for fast prey such as rabbits. A greyhound
needs a large amount of exercise every day, and I doubt that as a
guide dog, the dog would get enough exercise to stay fit unless the
handler is a cross-country or track runner.
5) IGs are tiny at only about a foot tall and 10 to 15 pounds.

If the dog were a diabetic-alert dog only, I could see it, but only if
the handler took the dog to the racetrack or dog park regularly,
several times a day, and only if the dog was put in a special
greyhound collar with an ultra-light leash, and was dressed for the
weather with raincoat, sweater, or cool-off vest as needed.

I find the idea of an Italian Greyhound, as you must have surmised
from this message, absolutely and totally ridiculous, and I would fear
for the dog's well-being

On 9/7/10, Rovig, Lorraine <LRovig at nfb.org> wrote:
> FYI,
> By entering Pawsible Service Dog School I found the following about the
> training school in Australia on the first Google.  I bet the links to
> each page will work better if you Google it too, but here is what what
> on page 1:
>
> Mary Lou's Public Profile
> Program Director, All is Pawsible Service Dog School
> www.plaxo.com/directory/profile/55836109032/7dfcb51d/Mary/LouService Dog
> for Riley
>
> All is Pawsible came out the other night to finish our registration into
> their school. Three service dogs in tow and the kids went crazy! They
> loved it!
> servicedogforriley.blogspot.com * Cached pagePawsible Solution Dog
> Service
>
> About Pawsible Solution Dog Service. Pawsible Solution Dog ... of
> helping owners exercise and train their dogs of all ... Pet Care - Pet
> Services - School
> www.hotfrog.com.au/Companies/Pawsible-Solution-Dog-Service * Cached page
>
> It's PAWSible: The PupLife Interview With Dog Trainer Beth ...
> More on this page
> Does your dog or puppy listen to you? Do you want to learn how to
> communicate effectively with your dog? If so, we've got some great news
> for you! We recently had the opportunity to talk with Beth
> Ostrowski-Parks, Certified Professional Dog Trainer, author, and owner
> of It's PAWSible! Dog Training Center in Westhampton, Massachusetts.
> Popular links
> Dog Tips
> Free Newsletter
> Shop By Occasion
> Shop By Breed
> F.A.Q
> Go to the pageShare
> ... owner of It's PAWSible! Dog ... your training school, day camp
> program and most recently your outstanding at-home DVD dog training
> course. First of all ... so I tailor my services ...
> www.puplife.com/pages/its-pawsible-the-puplife-interview-with-dog-traine
> r-beth... *
>
> Cached pagePawsible Solution Dog Service - Bayside Dog Walking &
> Training
> Pawsible Solution Dog Service was set up by Linda Murphy with the
> purpose of helping owners exercise and train their dogs of all ages and
> breeds using ... Driving School Canberra, ...
> www.communityguide.com.au/.../site/animalspets/petcareservices/brightone
> astdogwalking * Cached page
>
> Autism Service Dogs 4 Paws for Ability
> June 4, 2008 Service dog denied to school. June 3, 2008 Service dogs
> join the fight ... death grip on her, with Noelle safely tethered to her
> service dog, Reagan, fun is had by all.
> www.4pawsforability.org/autismdogs.html * Cached pageOregon Humane
> Society -
>
> Pet Training - Behavior & Training
> * After School Clubs * Tours & Field Trips * Summer Camp ... purposes
> only and does not endorse any products or services ... Dogs from area
> [...]

~Jewel
Check out my blog about accessibility for the blind!
Treasure Chest for the Blind: http://blindtreasurechest.blogspot.com