[nagdu] EXTERNAL:Re: Traveling Advice

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Thu Sep 30 19:27:41 UTC 2010

 Rebecca,

  I've talked about it on the list before.  It's in the archives somewhere
if only I had the patience to look it up.

It was my first time flying with a guide dog, who happened to be Belle.  I
had a really long layover in Denver...I'm remembering 3 hours or so.  I
wanted to take Belle someplace so she could have an opportunity to relieve.
After several tries of explaining what I needed I was finally handed over to
some employee who didn't speak very good English, didn't know anyplace to
take the dog, stopped to chat with fellow employees along the way, got lost
repeatedly and then tried to insist that I should go to the wrong gate.  We
ended up in a shouting match over where I was and was not going to go.

I tried to ditch the guy on several occasions.  Once I was actually
successful, which is when I found a door to outside and let Belle relieve.
But he found me and was pissed.  all attempts to be civil for the first hour
of this fiasco were futile.

Seriously not a good time.  So now I use the ask as I go approach.

Oh and the ticket counter employee moved me to bulkhead seating without
asking or at least I'm assuming that is what happened.

Julie