[nagdu] Bill of Rights statement Concerning Health, Temperment, & Behavior

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 19 19:53:31 UTC 2011

Diana,

Now we need some of our excellent wordsmiths to include verbiage to the
effect that as consumers of their services, we're the only reason they have
jobs, so they ought to think about being nicer to us.  /lol/

I've come to the conclusion that with owner-training, you definitely need to
start with a pretty advanced specialized skill set, mostly because the only
reason you will have that skill set is because you just love to train
animals.  So wouldn't it be fun to train a guide dog now?  It's never that
simple, of course, but I think that if you've gone beyond just thinking
about it, you probably have done training before because you just like doing
it.  You also need to be really happy about learning new things, because
whatever you thought you knew will turn out to be not nearly enough.  /lol/
Looking back over my own experiences and thinking about the common traits I
see in the owner-trainers who were my mentors and have become friends, the
love of the animal and the joy of learning to communicate with that animal
are unmistakable.  Also, the absolute glee they express when they find out
they need to run out and learn something new in order to deal with a
challenge in the communication process.

So what looks like hard work, patience, diligence, dedication and great and
mysterious knowledge achieved through a lifetime of study is really just us
having fun with our dogs.  Teehee.  I'm joking, of course, but not entirely.
The hard work, patience, blah blah is there and we're consciously using it
to achieve our goal.  It's just that the rewards of meeting each challenge
and learning new ways to communicate while building a lifelong partnership
are so great that, for me at least, it felt like I was just doing what came
natural.

Or do I have to go into hiding now because I gave away arcane secrets?
/grin/

I'm suddenly thinking of all the things my friends and acquaintances do so
well they make it look easy when I couldn't begin to think of how to start
and can only imagine must take a lot of work, which I see them doing all the
time while I can't understand why they would work so hard at it...  I guess
it all depends on what you find joy in doing.

Tami Smith-Kinney