[nagdu] Dog IDs

Meghan Whalen mewhalen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 15:23:42 UTC 2011

The breed of the dog has nothing to do with if it is a service dog.
There are many types of service which can be done by a small dog,
including alerting to sounds, alerting to low blood sugar etc.  The
little poodle on the plane very well could have been providing some kind
of support to it's handler.  In my opinion, it is wrong for people to
lie about the status of a dog to get it in places, but I honestly would
rather go into a store with 20 *fake* service dogs who are behaving
perfectly than have to work my dog past the service dog from a local
*reputable* service dog program with IDs.  This dog barks and lunges at
my dog, and I'd rather he be the little jack russel that apparently does
hearing alert work, even if he doesn't.
In short, if people are going to take the time to train their dogs
properly so they can pass as service dogs, I really don't care.  I just
wish that all of the dogs who have been granted legal access whether
they be from a recognized program or owner-trained were well-mannered,
well-groomed and handled well.

Meghan