[nagdu] Mobility and Dogs

The Pawpower Pack pawpower4me at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 13:12:10 UTC 2011

The term "deafblind" is a spectrum term.  Some people who are deafblind are low vision and hard of hearing, some are totally blind and profoundly deaf, some people are in the middle with a profound loss of one sense and a partial loss of another.  deafblindness is also a cultural designation.  That is a person who uses American Sign Language ASL and who is involved in the Deaf and Deafblind communities.
I can see a little out of one eye and hear a little out of one ear when aided, but I use ASL and am culturally Deafblind as well as being defined deafblind in a medical sense. I don't ever use the term "impaired" when refering to persons with either sight or hearing loss because I don't see my Deafblindness as an impairment and wouldn't change myself. Others use the term inmpaired and have no problem with it.
I know that Leader Dogs and GEB both are guide programs who have custom training for deafblind people who use ASL.

Rox
Sent from my iPhone