[nagdu] Guide Dogs at School

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 9 17:19:21 UTC 2011

Mark,

Yikes! Talk about compound ignorance. That sort of situation gets really
impossible to tackle, because the parties involved just pass around the
ignorance and irresponsibility. Such trivialities as facts and laws
appear to annoy them to know end and they would rather you didn't bring
it up. If you do, then whatever it is they have that you need becomes
leverage for them to punish you for imposing on them... Well, I've done
a couple of rounds with that sort of nonsense over the past few years,
and that is how it goes.

At some point, I'm afraid, I have had to decide when it was time to look
after my own interests... Well, I had also made the mistake of acceding
to the demanded compromises to show good will and cooperation and just
act like I was dealing with responsible adults as I do in the rest of my
life... Now I know better! For the types of people who are more
interested in making the first move in that sort of power play, they're
not interested in right and wrong or fair play or common sense or basic
good manners and decency.

Unfortunately, the laws that protect us from that sort have very few
teeth. So you can make a full time job of fighting the fight and still
get nowhere because there is not enforcement... Well, on one of my
issues, I'm still trying to figure out a way to get to someone who can
and will do something. But I also have to attend to my own life, which
is not made easier by the lack of resources I've had to face. The other
situation is long over, and I have to be happy with having gotten out of
it with a whole hied. Which is why with our current other dog situation,
I have a hard time not getting all militant with DD and insisting he
take a harder line. Still, it's up to him, and I will be interested to
see how things progress. Is it over because he had a nice talk and came
to an agreement, even though on their side they are violating the law?
We'll find out. Will we simply have to put up with more harassment down
the line? I think probably. How serious it will be, I can't predict. But
for people who simply want to live their lives and be left alone, this
is frustrating!

So in your case, the valuable resource is your college education, and
the value of that goes far beyond the price of tuition. Like the other
students you infer the the word "us," you do have a tough choice to
make. This should not be. Legally, it is called duress. For so many
entities to be involved in the application of this duress on service dog
users is, well.. Wrong. Criminal! But how do you get it to stop, let
alone get recourse? Dunno!

Anyway, I'm always thrilled to see the NFB take on legal causes, because
they *do* have the manpower, resources and knowledge of how to use the
system and the courts to end discrimination. Every case we win sets
precedent, so that's great.

So I hope that you are able to get true information where it needs to
go, to someone who will address the discrimination that appears to
affect more than you. And so that you can use your guide dog while you
continue to get that precious education so that you can move on to the
next stage of your adult life using your fine mind to work and add the
resources that come from that work to the world.

Good luck!

Tami