[nagdu] owner training

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sat Dec 10 22:16:24 UTC 2011

Matt,

Hi, and welcome. My name is Tami (Tammy, in case you're using JAWS), and
I am working my 5.5 year-old owner-trained poodle guide. I learned a lot
of what I know from Julie, as well as other owner-trainers on this list
and elsewhere. I had been training animals since I was a kid on the
ranch, so believed I had the requisite skills, patience, etc. to train a
guide dog, supposing I ended up with a dog with "the right stuff." I'd
known I would be wanting a guide dog for blindness since I was a kid,
too, so I had learned everything about them I could and would often
entertain myself by trying to figure out how one would train a guide dog
to handle this or that situation in my daily travels when I grew up and
moved to the big city, then the bigger city and all that. /smile/ I
wasn't actively planning to train my own -- certainly not my first guide
dog -- at the time, but I love training and problem solving, and guide
dog is tops for that! I would also find myself thinking the guide dog
angle through when I became a cane user. I had ended up back in the
sticks then due to health problems and the need to be closer to family.
So I ended up teaching myself cane O&M because it was that or stay home
and wait for someone to get out to me to help me. Ha! When my
then-husband and I ended up moving to a bigger city in central Oregon, I
got to teach myself a whole lot of new stuff in an unfamiliar
environment with much less residual vision. But I would manage to wonder
about the guide dog angle there, too. Couldn't help myself! /lol/ Then I
split from my husband, came over here to the metro area, and still ended
up teaching myself bigger and better O&M skills with the cane here... I
took lessons from the state O&M instructors, but they seemed determined
to spend months teaching me to walk around the block or around straight
hallways in a building... Good grief! So I stopped wasting the time and
just learned how to handle my real life travels and O&M on my own
because who needs the fuss and insults? /lol/ I had also been badly
injured, which brought on a new onset of fibromyalgia; the worst
injuries were to my arms and hands, so using a cane was causing a lot of
problems... But I ended up too sick to go to guide dog school.

So I ended up with a 7-month-old poodle pup, who did end up having "the
right stuff" in spades... So off we went, she learning quickly to leash
guide or nudge guide even on walks around and then to a neighborhood dog
park where she could run while I walked on the turfy grass without
having to use the cane to rebuild fitness and balance. Whew! So now
she's a working guide. Cool.

She was a blank slate at 7 months, having been pack-raised on a small
acreage with a lot of breeding poodles and labs as well as other pups
and older pups. They'd had some huge litters that year, so that's why
they ended up with this older pup needing a home with me. /smile/
Anyway, I needed to start from the ground up and discovered that one
disadvantage to a pup that age is that she had already developed
independence and self-determination... /lol/ This is great in her guide
work, but I had some interesting times learning to work with her poodly
brains and temperament to achieve the desired results for house manners
and basic obedience and everything. But she was brilliant! I'd done most
of my dog training and interaction with cattle dogs on the ranch, so
this poodle beast was a constant surprise. Still, she learned fast,
fast. I figured out that if I went with what I'd read about how poodles
are a lot like Arabian horses in temperament and manner and how you work
with them, things went swimmingly. /lol/ My last Arabian was perfect
practice for this wild poodle child of mine. I did my own PR around my
neighborhood for exposure to some of the working environments I hoped to
have her bring me into one day, and that hair-trigger nervous system
caused a lot of laughs until she learned to self-manage and not levitate
every time something surprised her or interested her... Yikes! She never
did anything horrible, but she did learn how fun it is to be a clown and
get everybody laughing. She also learned how much people would gush when
she did settle down, so that helped. Hard to convince your pup she's
being a total monster when everybody is cracking up and egging her on...
Or telling her she's a good dog while you're telling her she needs to do
something else in order to earn the title good dog. Sheesh! It was a
hoot in a way, but I'm more the nerd in the corner type than the class
clown type, so that stretched my comfort level. Until I realized I was
just the geeky sidekick in her act. /lol/

Anyway, that's us.

I think that finding the right late subadult or young adult dog in the
18 to 24 month range would be a good way to go. Certainly, it would
bring you to having a guide dog much more quickly than if you start with
a pup. Mitzi learned fast, but she didn't really have the maturity to
take over the work until she was 24 months. So that was 19 months from
puppy to guide dog. Worth it, but.. I had a hard time not pushing her
too far too fast just so I could have the guide dog I really wanted and
needed. /smile/

Okay, I'm turning this into a novel. Just taking a rambling style to
give you some idea of my experience, at least on the surface. I'll see
what more other owner-trainers or people in the know tell you to see if
I can fill in any real information blanks.

Tami