[nagdu] getting gum off of a dog

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sun Dec 11 01:47:07 UTC 2011

Larry,

Heavens! No, thank you re: pulling a fly strip off a bird. I take it the
bird was not in agreement with your plan to assist? Yeeks!

With my poodle guide, I live in fear of gum! But, no, I generally manage
to be the one to pick it up. /lol/ I had originally planned to be super
strict at bust stops and on the bus about the whole sit down stay bit...
Until I realized about the gum and worse! Now, when we're working, "sit"
means something like, "please be mellow and out of the way somehow but
only sit down if you're not going to get gunk in your curls." /lol/
That's one reason I went to the super short shear for her. Still, once
she would start growing out, I would live in fear of gum, pop, spilled
milkshakes... /lol/ Same with putting her under the seats in the bus...
Or if the area under the table in a restaurant hasn't been cleaned
properly... If they want my dog out of sight and out of the way under
the table, they can keep their restaurant clean! Urgh! This is more of a
problem the past couple of years because of the economy... Even
restaurants we used to frequent knowing they would be clean and
well-maintained... Not so much, if they've managed to stay in business
at all.  Sigh. Still, as I see it, if they can't keep the area under the
tables clean, then they will have to put up with having a guide dog as
out of the way as possible where she's not going to be hoovering while
she's getting filthy. Nope! Ha! /lol/

Making sure my black poodle doesn't go out into public sporting rawhide
on her front paws and muzzle is a constant fuss, too. Not so big a deal
after a shearing, but... Funny thing. The puppy likes to pick the
rawhide off of Mitzi's paws and muzzle, because Mitzi is woolly right
now... Mitzi lets her and seems to like it. Huh. When we're going out
and I'm hurriedly washing with a washcloth, then picking at the bits I
can still feel, she acts like this is a huge imposition. But it's funny,
I guess, when the puppy yanks the rawhide residue off with her sharp
little teeth. I give up. /lol/

Tami