[nagdu] Shepard Guide Dogs

Wayne Merritt wcmerritt at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 05:40:31 UTC 2011

The Seeing eye also tests their shepherds for any aspects of hip
displasia. If the dog has the characteristics, or however these things
are determined, then they are immediately dropped from the program.
When i went to New Jersey to get my current GSD, I heard that they did
this hip displasia testing when the dog was 18 months, so they can
tell well in advance and it usually isn't something that just pops up
during training or later when the dog gets home with their new
handler. Though, as with anything, many issues can arise during or
after training, health related or not. I've enjoyed using my shepherd
for the last 3 years and have learned a lot about them in that time. I
think that i will probably ask or a GSD when I go back for my next
dog, but I will ask that they are not quite as tall. Having a shepherd
that is 26 inches at the shoulder lie down comfortably and quietly
under an airline seat can be problematic. I've gained a new
appreciation for those "bulkhead" seats, but will still argue with
flight attendants that insist that the bulkhead gives more room, even
if I end up sitting there. Oh well; don't sweat the ssmall stuff,
right? :)

Wayne