[nagdu] new guide dog.

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sun Feb 6 00:40:08 UTC 2011

Well said, Marsha!

Alex, congratulations!

It is true, we have been discussing some possibly questionable behavior by
Fidelco towards some consumers.  We also have happy Fidelco graduates, like
Hope, some of them repeat graduates and at least who is, if I recall
correctly, in the process of retiring a current Fidelco dog and returning
there for a replacement.  We're not here to make your decisions for you or
to go around slamming guide dog programs, but the information that there are
questions might be useful to you if you wish to know more.

Don't worry.  If you were headed for certain doom, we would just go ahead
and tell you. /grin/  We would, of course, respectfully leave the choice of
whether to walk off the cliff entirely up to you.  It would at least be an
informed choice! /lol/

As for reading the archives...  It's probably not my place to say this, but
it's been pretty hectic on this list lately, and the dust is still settling
after some problems caused by a troller -- if that term is even in use
anymore.  That's somebody who joins a discussion to cause trouble and tick
people off and stuff, then gets kicked out of the group and comes back under
a different name, and so on.  The moderators and others in leadership have
gotten this troller permanently out of hair, but recent archives are no
doubt pretty messy and not representative of us as a group.  /smile/

Anyway, welcome and best wishes.  I am looking to hear more from you as you
go.  As for me,  I am still on my first guide, an owner-trained poodle named
Mitzi.  She has just turned the corner from 4-1/2 to almost 5, and I am
enjoying the experience of being an experienced (by my own lights) guide dog
handler with a mature, experienced dog.  Relative to this time last year,
and we just won't talk about the year before that...  Or the year before
that ...  /lol/  We have had a fun adventure together, but I am glad to be
able to just sit back and enjoy the ride for awhile.  /smile/
Owner-trainer, if that is a new term to you, means that I trained the dog I
own.  Some people use the term self-trained dog instead of owner-trained
dog...  But not if they've actually done it.  /grin/  As we owner-trainers
like to remind people, the dogs don't train themselves!  /grin/

Who retains legal ownership of the guide dog upon graduation at this time
varies from program to program.  It is true that at this time Fidelco does
retain legal ownership of the guide after you graduation from their training
and return home.  I apologize that I can't remember specifics.  Some
programs retain legal ownership for a specific period of time, some for the
life of the dog (could be wrong there, but I think there is or has been
one), others something in between.  Only two programs currently grant legal
ownership of the dog upon graduation from the program.

Since I trained my own dog, I suppose I don't need to clarify my preference
on that score.  /smile/  Others feel differently and make their choices
based on other factors.

Changes in the overall system are another matter we all discuss, debate,
argue, discuss...  /smile/  We're an opinionated lot here, but we do our
best to respect others, except for when somebody gets excited about
something and slips up there.  /smile/

Tami Smith-Kinney