[nagdu] Access problems in San Diego

Ginger Kutsch gingerKutsch at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 12 21:31:27 UTC 2011

Dear Lyn,

The Community Liaison Officer is right in that the police do not
have the authority to enforce a civil law. They can remind a
business owner of legal responsibilities, but the person who has
experienced discrimination must initiate any legal action.

However, some states, like California,  have laws that make it a
criminal offense to deny access to a person who uses a service
animal. This means that the police have the authority to enforce
this type of law. Apparently the officer is unaware that
California makes it a crime to deny access.

I recommend that you contact the officer yourself and explain
that you've learned that CA PENAL CODE SECTION 365.5 is a
criminal law that protects your rights and that you would like
the police to press charges against the business owner.

Here's a copy of the statute for your convenience:

365.5.  (a) Any blind person, deaf person, or disabled person,
who
is a passenger on any common carrier, airplane, motor vehicle,
railway train, motorbus, streetcar, boat, or any other public
conveyance or mode of transportation operating within this state,
shall be entitled to have with him or her a specially trained
guide
dog, signal dog, or service dog.
   (b) No blind person, deaf person, or disabled person and his
or
her specially trained guide dog, signal dog, or service dog shall
be
denied admittance to accommodations, advantages, facilities,
medical
facilities, including hospitals, clinics, and physicians'
offices,
telephone facilities, adoption agencies, private schools, hotels,
lodging places, places of public accommodation, amusement, or
resort,
and other places to which the general public is invited within
this
state because of that guide dog, signal dog, or service dog.
   (c) Any person, firm, association, or corporation, or the
agent of
any person, firm, association, or corporation, who prevents a
disabled person from exercising, or interferes with a disabled
person
in the exercise of, the rights specified in this section is
guilty
of a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine not exceeding two thousand
five hundred dollars ($2,500).
   (d) As used in this section, "guide dog" means any guide dog
or
Seeing Eye dog that was trained by a person licensed under
Chapter
9.5 (commencing with Section 7200) of Division 3 of the Business
and
Professions Code or that meets the definitional criteria under
federal regulations adopted to implement Title III of the
Americans
with Disabilities Act of 1990 (Public Law 101-336).
   (e) As used in this section, "signal dog" means any dog
trained to
alert a deaf person, or a person whose hearing is impaired, to
intruders or sounds.
   (f) As used in this section, "service dog" means any dog
individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit
of
an individual with a disability, including, but not limited to,
minimal protection work, rescue work, pulling a wheelchair, or
fetching dropped items.
   (g) (1) Nothing in this section is intended to affect any
civil
remedies available for a violation of this section.
   (2) This section is intended to provide equal accessibility
for
all owners or trainers of animals that are trained as guide dogs,
signal dogs, or service dogs in a manner that is no less than
that
provided by the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (Public
Law
101-336) and the Air Carrier Access Act of 1986 (Public Law
99-435).
   (h) The exercise of rights specified in subdivisions (a) and
(b)
by any person may not be conditioned upon payment of any extra
charge, provided that the person shall be liable for any provable
damage done to the premises or facilities by his or her dog.
   (i) Any trainer or individual with a disability may take dogs
in
any of the places specified in subdivisions (a) and (b) for the
purpose of training the dogs as guide dogs, signal dogs, or
service
dogs. The person shall ensure that the dog is on a leash and
tagged
as a guide dog, signal dog, or service dog by an identification
tag
issued by the county clerk or animal control department as
authorized
by Chapter 3.5 (commencing with Section 30850) of Division 14 of
the
Food and Agricultural Code. In addition, the person shall be