[nagdu] guide dog users with seizures

Criminal Justice Major Extraordinaire orleans24 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 6 15:13:55 UTC 2011

Hi, all,
I know my topic may sound sound ludiquris and crazy, but here it goes.
I was wondering if there were any guide dog handlers on list or who may know
of other users that have seizures?
I'm interested in being able to communicate with them directly and how they
were able to work with guides despite the medical condition.
If so, they can contact me off list at:
orleans24 at comcast.net
The type of seizure condition I'm dealing with is called convulsive
grandmal.
I am currently taking medication for it and so far, things are going well
for me.
Despite the medicine treatment, I can't say that another one won't occur
because convulsive grandmal seizures can strike without any given warning.
I know that some people would be concerned about me working with a guide dog
because of the unknown that can happen and that's their right to be unsure.
Although the convulsive grandmal seizures are scary, that doesn't mean this
condition is going to stop me from accomplishing my goal of finishing up
school at some point, but mostly so I can have another four-legged furry
partner by my side.
I'm not afraid nor will I put myself in denial of sharing about my medical
condition and it doesn't embarrass me either to do so.
Some people may fear being around an individual who has any form of a
seizure, mainly because of the unknown.
They probably haven't been educated or never had the chance to get to know
people directly with this daily condition.
Seizures are not contagious and no one can come down with them.
The most anyone should do if they witness a friend or love one having an
convulsive grandmal or other type of seizure is to remain calm and lend
their support with being there fore them.
They can be learned about through the Epilepsy
Foundation's web site.
I'll be happy to share with anyone off list via private email if they want
to know more or just want to be educated on awareness of this on-growing
medical matter.
Well, guess that's enough from me for now.
Bibi