[nagdu] Blind woman's 'best friend' in random stray pack incident

Ginger Kutsch GingerKutsch at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 12 10:19:28 UTC 2011

Blind woman's 'best friend' in random stray pack incident

BY JIM GAINSFORD

12 Jul, 2011 07:00 AM

http://www.theleader.com.au/news/local/news/crime-and-law/blind-womans-best-
friend-in-random-stray-pack-incident/2222524.aspx?storypage=0

IN THE latest southern Sydney dog attack, two unleashed dogs attacked the
guide dog of a blind Caringbah woman as they walked along Taren Point Road,
last week.

Susie Barrington, 48, and her trained assistance labrador dog, Haly, were
returning home from the Petcare 2000 warehouse when the attack happened.

They were with guide dog instructor, Katherine Russell, who was helping Ms
Barrington and Haly to regain their confidence after they were hit by a taxi
in May.

''Two dogs , a golden retriever and a Jack Russell came down from Kingsway,
ran across the road and went for Haly,'' Ms Barrington said.

''I was yelling and trying to keep Haly safe and out of their way.

''Katherine threw her handbag at one of the dogs and a bag of pet treats at
the other dog.

''She grabbed them and dragged them away.

''I rang the council and Katherine held on to the dogs until the ranger
arrived and took them away.

''I'm lucky I had someone with me. Had I been on my own I would have
completely panicked because I am totally blind.''

Ms Barrington and Haly are recovering after being hit by a taxi on May 4
when she was on her way to work

at Mascot.

Witnesses said Ms Barrington had been thrown into the air, and she is having
physiotherapy for injuries to her back, hips, neck and shoulders.

''Haly wasn't injured but her confidence has been affected,'' Ms Barrington
said.

''Haly and I would go for an hour's walk but since the accident, we just go
around the block,'' she said.

They were taking their first long walk since the accident, attempting to get
their confidence back when last week's attack occurred.

''Since then, Haly drops to the ground at the slightest of noises, which is
a sign she is anxious.''

Ms Barrington pleaded for dog owners to keep their dogs on a leash when they
are out and keep them secured in the yard, and also to make sure they are
microchipped and tagged.

She said she would not let the latest episode stop them from getting back to
their regular routine.

''I've always said that if anything happens I'd rather it happen to me than
Haly,'' she said

''She's changed my life. She's given me so much confidence. She's my best
friend. I don't go walking by myself; I go walking with my

best friend.''

A Sutherland Shire Council spokeswoman said the dogs were taken to the Taren
Point dog shelter. Council officers are investigating the incident.

THE FACTS

THERE have been three serious dog attacks in Sutherland Shire in less than a
month.

First, John Fischer, 75, of Caringbah, had his arm savaged by an unleashed
rottweiler on June 21.

He had extensive skin grafts and lost the use of most of his muscle.

Two more attacks occurred on the same day last week.

A man, 45, was bitten on the face by a dog, in its backyard, at Sutherland
on Wednesday.

He sustained neck and hand injuries and had to have surgery.

A council spokeswoman said that the man who was bitten by the dog, a
Siberian husky, declined to assist in the investigation.

The council is undertaking compliance checks on the premises and the dog.

Most recently, two unleashed dogs ran across the road to attack a blind
woman's guide dog at Taren Point (above).

Sutherland Shire council officers are now investigating.

Miranda crime manager Inspector Rohan Cramsie said not all attacks were
reported, but reminded people to be careful around all dogs.

''We continue to work with the council [on their investigations],'' Mr
Cramsie said.

''People should always make sure they are careful around dogs, especially
with children.''