[nagdu] Hotline: Murphy's Law

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Thu Jul 14 18:55:13 UTC 2011

Dear All,
    Before I announced the re-launch of the NAGDU Information & Advocacy Hotline yesterday, I called the hotline to make sure everything was working right. Shortly afterward, I received an email message sharing that the hotline numbers were not working. I called again myself and, sure enough, received a message that the number was not in service. What we found out was that the number's automatic forward had expired and, in spite of all the paperwork having been submitted and confirmed received, the porting to the service had not been completed. Our IT person, Aaron Canon, got in touch with the service and the number was ported. The hotline, we thought, was up & running again!
    Well, Murphy says, "If anything can go wrong, it will!" and Mr. (or Mrs.) Murphy seems to know about this. Once the porting was successful, the servor that contains all of the recorded documents went down and, as the result, so did the hotline! Callers now did bnot even get a recorded message; the number just rang and rang and rang some more! I am pleased to report that the servor is back up and so is the hotline. Here are the numbers again. Remember, if you have free long distance calling and want to check out the hotline, the 813 number will save NAGDU the toll-free charges. The 888 number, of course, is the easiest to remember. Both numbers take you to the same destination. Please check it out and offer your suggestions!

Local Tampa number: 813-658-5749
Toll-Free Number: 888-NAGDU411 (888-624-3841)

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala, President
National Association of Guide Dog Users (NAGDU)
National Federation of the Blind
813-626-2789
President at NAGDU.ORG
HTTP://WWW.NAGDU.ORG