[nagdu] Guide dog Schools

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 15 18:02:33 UTC 2011

Glad to hear that, and excited to see you on your way. /grin/

It seems that there is less, er, confusion about the matter of us
partials is waning in the resource community, which is nice to know.
Even five or six years ago, I was seriously bummed out to discover that
having lost the ability to read with my eyeballs in any meaningful way
-- or without excruciating headaches -- did not, de fact, make me blind
enough to adaptive tools or a guide dog or ... Some of that -- most of
it -- has to do with my state's VR agency, since I needed an O&M
instructor's evaluation to move ahead with the one application I was
still sort of following through on with a program. Sure enough, I was
not in need of a guide and would almost certainly screw it up because of
my really great vision which I used to navigate and pick out curbs when
I was traveling with the cane under sleepshade... I was also, it
appears, using my really great vision to perform household tasks
undersleepshade without any problem at all or need for instruction from
the instructor who then wrote in her report that I was using my really
great vision. Apparently, in the Juno walk, which I asked to do under
sleepshade but the evaluator decided to just skip that part, she could
see that I was using that really great vision of mine. to read street
signs, which is how I knew where I was on the route I had chosen around
my own neighborhood! So I trained my own dog, who adjust just fine to my
ongoing loss of vision and the glitches in my handling because I still
get confused at times about who actually knows what's right under our
feet and up ahead. /lol/ I'm finally seeming to reach some crossover
point where I don't have to remind myself that I don't see what I think
I see just because some light and color is still making it past my
retinae into my optic cortext which can't resist forming images out of
it... It's automatic to me now to just go around not beliving a thing I
see, so Mitzi appreciates that, too. /smile/

Best luck, and I am looking forward to hearing of your further
adventures iwith your new dog! /smile/

Tami