[nagdu] extremely basic guide dog questions...

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 27 02:00:53 UTC 2011

Gary,

Mitzi has assurred me on many occasions that the behavior you describe
is most definitively a poodle thing.  /lol/ I've just adapted to the way
she is and do not find it a big deal, really. Although I've learned not
to go around admitting to such adjustments, since the notion that I
haven't trained my dog to eat exactly the same amount at exactly the
same time every day -- and to relieve on the same exact schedule, too
--is the sort of thing some people seem to find  quite shocking. Well,
for the most part, other guide dog users and even some professional
guide dog trainers will amit that with some dogs you just have to make
adjustments. Labby users do seem puzzled often by the fact I couldn't
manage to train my dog to eat on schedule. /lol/ Not that I blame them.
Still, I just had to finally decide that if the dog wasn't going to eat
breakfast just because I gave it to her, I would have to deal with that.
Now, with two dogs int he house, I have given up even trying to tell
which one has eaten out of which bowl. If I don't specifically see Mitzi
eat breakfast in the morning before we set off for a long day away from
home, I just grab a handful or two of kibble in a baggie and stick it in
my purse in case we need it later. /lol/ And I certainly *never* go
anywher without a baggy for the used kibble that may need disposing of,
either. /grin/

Around home, having a back yartd has made my life much easier because I
don't have to take her out and wander around waiting for something to
happen only to have it not happen... Then wake up to acold nose in my
face letting me know I need to get upt and get out the door ASAP.  She's
better now that she's a grown up, but even after we moved out here where
there was a yard, she would insist that DD get me up to take her out at
5 in the morning... Now she will generally go out for him, but not
always. At least he doesn't get up for work at 4:30 anymore. I do still
get the cold nose as a middle of the night wake up call, with a bossy
little woof if I don't wake up fast enough, but not all that often.
Whew! .

It did used to worry me that I wasn't getting the information about her
health you mentioned from picking it up myself, but DD keeps a good eye
on that for both dogs while he's shoveling the stuff from the backyard,
so I don't fret anymore.

I have found that a good bag is key to safe and sane pick up, as I think
someone else mentioned. You do want a bag that will stay on your hand as
you feel, and won't turn out to have a hole in it or anything like that.
Also, one that will be easy to just tie into a knot in case you have to
carry it around for awhile untilyou find a dumpster or some such...
Mitzi now is very good at finding the trash, althouogh she does make a
distinction with "dumpster" so it's helpful if I know which to ask her
to look for. Funny girl. Sometimes she does generalize, whichever word I
use and takes me to the nearest trash receptacle of some sort. Thus, I
suspect that when she gets picky about my semantics, she's just using it
as an excuse to get in some extra walking or, on a good day, especially
on leash walks, sniffing. /grin/
Poodles! /lol/